My Childhood - Marble Cake Recipe

July 27, 2020

Following one of the many lockdown/self-quarantine clichés; the hidden baker in me finally got round to baking an oldie recipe from my childhood. I think it was a mixture of being cooped up in the flat and missing my family, hence in deep need of happy sweet nostalgia. My dear mum would make this cake on many of my birthdays (not the main Bday cake) and even my lil sisters too, It is a simple recipe that takes hardly any time at all to whip up and will be sure to cover all of your sweet cravings!


If you do get round to making my (mum's) Marble Cake Recipe don't forget to tag or share with me over on Instagram/mybitchyrestingface 📸


Prep time: 30 mins mins
Cook Time: 1 hr

Ingredients

⭐ 150 g / 6 oz unsalted butter or margarine
⭐ 150 g / 6 oz caster sugar
⭐ 3 eggs, lightly beaten
⭐ 150 g / 6 oz self-raising flour
⭐ 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
⭐ 1 tablespoon cocoa powder

Butter Icing

⭐ 50 g / 2 oz unsalted butter or margarine
⭐ 100 g / 4 oz icing sugar, sieved
⭐ 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
⭐ 2 teaspoon warm water

Method

  1. Grease an 18 cm (7 in) square cake tin and line the base with grease proof paper.
  2. Cream the butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs.
  3. Sieve in all but 1 tablespoon of the flour and fold into the mixture.
  4. Divide the mixture in half. Fold the vanilla essence and remaining flour into one half and the cocoa powder into the other.
  5. Put a spoonful of each mixture alternatively in the prepared tin. Bake in the oven for 1 hour until well risen and golden brown.
  6. Once out the oven leave to cool down for 5 minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
  7. For the butter icing; Cream the butter or margarine and beat in the icing sugar. Dissolve the cocoa in the warm water and beat into the creamed mixture. Spread the butter icing over the top of your cake and leave to set.

Side Note
I only had a round 20 inch tin which meant my cake took approx 30-33 mins to bake. I always use a wooden skewer to check the sponge.
In replace of grease proof lining I buttered the tin as usual then put a small amount of flour in and shook the tin around to coat the base and sides.
My hubby insisted he wanted all the cake to be covered with icing, so I  doubled up on the butter icing measurements. 


and what goes on behind the scenes......


I would love to know what was your common childhood Birthday theme, did your Mum or Dad make the same cake each year, or maybe there was a particular location you would always go to?

Till Next Time
🌍✌

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Pinterest

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe