My Pre-Travel checklist - 10 Things To Do Before You Travel

February 13, 2020

Through many years now of taking short and long haul flights, I have unwittingly picked up a few pointers along the way to help make my journey run that lil bit smoother and to give me peace of mind, of course, there will be the odd occasion where no matter how well planned to the tee you are there are elements which are simply beyond your control and boy do I know it.....I will save those stories for possibly another blog post. With all that said, I still have my process of preparing before a flight which I hope will be useful to you when you are planning your travels especially for first-time travellers or newish to flying. Let's Begin!

#1 Make sure your passport is valid for 6 months or more
6 months validity is a general rule and one that can easily be overlooked yet it could put a real spanner in the works when immigration refuses entry into their country, therefore, save yourself time and money "always" check the expiry date of your passport before you are due to travel.

For country entry requirements go to;
UK Passport Holder-www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
US Passport Holder: www.travel.state.gov


#2 Check Visa requirements
Since every country has it's own entry requirements depending on what passport you carry it is always best to check on your countries government w/site and for added reassurance contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country you are planning to visit that way you are fully aware of what is needed.

For further info; UK Passport Holder- www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice
US Passport Holder: www.travel.state.gov 
IATA- www.iatatravelcentre.com


#3 Airline luggage allowance
When it comes to mostly long haul flights I like to make sure I have utilised my baggage allowance. Airlines do follow a strict policy when keeping in the limits of your checked-in luggage and some airports, they even weigh your carry on bags so if you want to avoid paying the excess baggage charge, always check the terms of your flight ticket beforehand and if you know you're going to be over the weight allowance some airlines do provide special options for checking in extra baggage.

Emirates- www.emirates.com
Malaysia Airlines- www.malaysiaairlines.com


#4 Book a hotel before you travel
When I fly 9 out of 10 I am heading to one destination, therefore, accommodation is always sorted before my travels even if It's a multi-city trip because, to be honest, I do not want to deal with the stress of having to find somewhere to stay as soon as I arrive. For the spontaneous type, I would recommend having somewhere booked to stay for at least the first night, one for putting your mind at ease and two as a backup in case you need to provide immigration with the address of where you will be staying.


#5 Take out Travel Insurance
I'm not gonna lie when it comes to travel insurance and getting vaccinations I am guilty of doing neither! I think from growing up living abroad and travelling around with my parents these things just never seemed necessary, not to say it isn't important that is why this year I will be adding Travel Insurance to my checklist and so should you, prevention is better than cure, right?!

Travel Insurance Tips: www.gov.uk
Vaccine Advice: wwwnc.cdc.gov


#6 Inform your Bank

On occasions, I have forgotten to do this then seriously regret it after when I have to pay a bomb to call the bank from abroad to tell them it's me and unblock my card! Some banks now make it easy for you to log your travel dates and destination through their online banking platform, therefore no excuses (note to myself).


#7 Change money before you go
I know for most of us we are used to living the cash-free life, however, I always like to make sure I have local currency on me before I travel anywhere as you never know once you arrive at your destination, the ATM might be out of order, your bank decides to block you card (if you haven't told them) or the mode of transport from the airport may only accept cash. My tip is to have enough cash to see you through the first few days taking into account how long your trip is for, cost of food and travel etc.

Currency Converter- www.xe.com


#8 Keep copies of your return flight, hotel reservation & travel insurance
There have been times when Immigration have asked to see my return flight details, so always remember to keep either a hard or electronic copy to hand. For Travel insurance, you might need the hard copy, double-check the terms before you fly.


#9 Use Online Check-in to secure a seat and any special requirements
This is a standard procedure for me as I do have my seat preferences especially when I'm travelling solo and if you have any special dietary or assisted requirements that can usually all be done through your airlines manage your booking online. 
Most airlines I have been on allow you to online check-in between 48 hours and 90 minutes before your flight, although do check your flight itinerary as it can vary with each airline.


#10 Plan your journey to the airport
How I work this out is kinda back to front, I start from what time I need to check in which is usually 2-3hrs before my departure time, once I have figured that out I then need to plan what will be my mode of transport to the airport and roughly how long it would take for me to get there, taking into consideration time of day, planned road works, train line closure etc. A tip to further save time on the day of my flight is, If I am leaving my car at the airport car park I will pay for my parking space beforehand or If I am taking the express train, I will purchase the train ticket online.



As you can tell planning is key, however, once you have travelled a few times like anything it will all become second nature to you the point is to be as prepared as you possibly can and the rest you just have to go with the flow.

If you have any other great tips, or useful links do share them below,

Till Next Time
xx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Pinterest

Like me on Facebook

Subscribe